6.03.2011

Super Salads at Cafe Georg

I'm a big salad fan, if you know where to get the good stuff. Now I've found a great place to get hearty salads whenever I'm in Cebu, and it's not a secret to the Cebuanos.
Cafe Georg
Located in Banilad in Cebu City, Cafe Georg is a cutesy coffee shop-cum-meeting place for a lot of the locals. Many tourists would have a hard time locating the restaurant, but any well-fed Cebuano will lead you to Cafe Georg if your looking for easy eats and hearty meals.
Reminiscent of white picket fences and country kitchens, its bright white interiors give a relaxed atmosphere that's great for families to enjoy their favorite dishes
Bacon Mushroom Dip
Melted cheese, bacon & mushroom all combined to make for one gooey dip. the Garlic toasts are yum.
Spinach & Cheese Dip
Melted Cheese + Spinach. It's a bit runny in the beginning, but as it cools it becomes thicker and more spread-like. If it cools, it ends up chunky, so eat fast.
The dips are nice to start with, nothing fantastic, but would order again since I am a big dipping fan.
 Caesar Salad + Chicken Breast
As I've said, I'm big on salads, and so are the sizes of the salads at Cafe Georg. Romaine Lettuce with classic caesar dressing, bacon bits, croutons and Parmesan cheese are components of this salad that are executed well. The leaves are crunchy, the servings generous, and the bacon, overflowing. Not soggy or runny. Just right.
Casablanca
Mixed lettuce with arugula, dates, feta, and sliced almonds with honey mustard vinaigrette. Light and healthy, the dressing had a nice tanginess that was not overwhelming. Great as a starter, but I prefer something heftier. Rabbits would fall for this.
Mexican
Now, THIS is my kind of salad.
Lettuce, chili con carne, cheese, tomato-corn salsa, and crisp wonton strips. When tossed, it is reminiscent of a really tasty taco! Ok, save for all the wonton crisps, this salad is meaty, hefty, and a perfect dinner for those watching their carbs. Easy on the wonton, or you'd be better off eating an actual taco. I crave to come back to this salad. Most of their salads are portioned generously and can be shared between 2-3 people. This is ALL MINE!
Spicy Crumbled Sausage in Paprika Cream Pasta 
In all honesty, when I tasted this I thought I was having bolognese, and I couldn't figure out the olives when it's just supposed to be crumbled sausage in tomato cream sauce with Spanish smoked paprika. Also did not feel the smoked paprika. Pasta was so-so, but disappointed I didn't get to taste the paprika :(
Ropa Vieja
Cuban-style shredded  beef with onion, tomato, bell pepper, olives and cumin. Simmered until pull-worthy, this is the perfect accompaniment to garlic rice, a rainy night, or a lazy dinner. Hearty and slightly peppery, it's pretty accurate on the Cuban-scale.
Oreo Cheesecake
Baked cheesecake with Oreo chunks and Belgian chocolate ganache. Not as cheesy as I would like, and tastes more like a cake. Still love the Oreo chunks.
Mango Cake
Sorry, Red Ribbon's version wins.
So the desserts didn't win me over, but the salads I would gladly come back for. If you're sick of Cebu Lechon here is a great alternative to cleanse your palate with good cafe food.

Cafe Georg

Address: Ground Floor MLD Bldg., 

Banilad Cebu City, 6000 Philippines


Phone : +63 32 2340887
Monday - Saturday: 11:00 a.m. -- 11 p.m.
Sunday:11:00 a.m. -- 9 p.m.

2 comments:

  1. Hi ToT! thanks for this blog. I'm planning to go to CEBU with my friends on August. I'll definitely treat them here..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Check out my other posts on Cebu restaurants on ToT by searching CEBU in the right hand search tab.

    Enjoy and let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...