This weekend was supposed to be an exciting weekend for me. Roomie aka Chants, my college roommate back in Santa Monica and schoolmate at Pepperdine U., was supposed to arrive today so spend 4 long happy days with me and the Choobear in Manila. I had everything planned, fashion shows, dinners with friends, spa-dates, movie-marathons (Indonesia has a ban on Hollywood movies), and a lot of girly bonding time with my long lost roommate.
But all that planning and excitement and anticipation is now wasted energy because some airline decided to be a Debbie Downer.
Her flight in Jakarta was supposed to leave at 12:55am today, and arrive at 6am. She arrived 1.5 hours early, just enough time and within the limits of an international flight schedule. She had a CONFIRMED ticket.
When she arrived at the counter, Philippine Airlines (her airline to Manila ) told her that they had OVERBOOKED her flight and that they would BUMP her off. She had a confirmed flight, she was there 1.5 hours before the flight, and they fucking decide to bump her off.
They didn't offer her anything, and when she took it to twitter PAL responded with : Hi! Everyone Does It. On Twitter.
So she's at the airport at 11:20 pm, trying to arrange another flight with them. And the next flight to Manila would be tomorrow (Friday) at 1pm with a layover to Singapore and would arrive Manila at 9pm. 2 whole days would be wasted from our plans.
She left the airport at 3:30am. Because they did not want to find her another flight from another airline, and they would not confirm her on the Singapore-Manila flight, so now she is traumatized and worried they would BUMP her off AGAIN, lose her luggage, or some stupid shit that an airline who's already shown inconsistency would probably do.
Dear Philippine Airlines: I don't wanna harrass you or say mean things, but you left me with no choice. First off:
- You didn't' offer any voucher, free flight, compensation, NOTHING. She would have to pay for her flight tomorrow if she decides to even fly with you guys.
- You don't bump off confirmed passengers, you bump of chance passengers
- When you bump off someone, you have to ASK them to, not TELL them to.
- When you bump off someone, you have to give a compensatory allowance ie. a travel voucher, accommodations for the hassle, transportation, ON TOP of getting her another flight in the next possible time.
- If you can't confirm someone you bump off on the next flight, either you upgrade her, or YOU CONFIRM HER.
- If you really CANNOT, you REFUND HER!
- You DONT say "Hi! Everyone does it" on Twitter and expect anyone to be happy about it. Especially me, the disgruntled roommate who has been expecting a visit for so long.
I have been on many flights which were over booked, and a lot of times, the airline would announce to passengers if there are any willing ones to get onto a later flight, confirmed, for some travel vouchers that they could use on another flight. They don't just leave you out in the airport like some useless passenger and make her come home at 330am because no cabs are around at that time. That is FOUR HOURS waiting at the airport in Jakarta.
So Philippine Airlines, if you are listening, and you still want a change to repent for your customer service inefficiencies, I suggest you contact my roommate. Her flight details are or WERE:
Booking Reference BJC675
June 2 0:55
I swear this is the most embarrassing thing that could happen to someone I wanted to show around my country.