12.14.2010

The 'Qi' to Wellness in the City

Since I'm on a 3 day juice fast (TBB), I refuse to write about any of my recent food finds for fear that I might devour the entire refrigerator. So, in the spirit of wellness, I'll write about a different type of Treat that will make you feel warm and fuzzy inside and out, and doesn't require ingestion of comfort food.
After an eventful weekend of Mercato Centrale, dining, and a string of Goodie Giveaways, I needed a break from the hustle of the city. Mr. S & I went to Makati to get some short-term bliss since we didn't want to leave Manila to go to a spa, but still wanted to get away from it all. No, we did not check in to Picasso Boutique Hotel.
 But if you're familiar with Picasso in Salcedo Village in Makati, on the left hand side of the impeccable white facade is Qi Wellness Massage + Reflexology Centre. Their sign very nondescript, which also resonates with the property's exteriors.
The reception area is stark and very minimalistic as well as monochromatic, save for the singular shot of color from the cherry red waiting bench
 I love the decor and the attention to detail, executed perfectly in the zen-like composition of this refreshment corner.
Also think the reception arrangement is such a statement of how serene and fluid Qi Wellness is. Clearly, I like the place even before someone puts their hands on me
 Mr. S taking a gander at what massage service he would like to try.
 While we browsed the menu of services, we were given some Jasmine Lemongrass Tea to ease us into the day spa mood. Even if we were in the middle of Makati, we already had a calm upon us because
 QiWellness (pronounced Chi) takes therapy and treatment seriously. Their philosophy "is simple... we listen to what you want, we feel what your boy needs, then we compose a treatment that will allow your body's own ability to heal itself just as nature intended it to be. Out holistic approach combines modern therapies with centuries-old oriental healing techniques to promote true therapy and lasting wellness." I am such a sucker for prose.
 QiWellness' signature massages are comprised of QiTranquility, which combines lymphatic drainage massage and milder relaxing techniques to give you a sense of "calm". Mr. S was sold on CALM and chose this massage. There's also QiVitality, which is more accu-pressure and deep tissue massage, as well as QiReflexology,  more on reflexology and focusing on pressure points for circulation.
 I looked further into the menu of services and picked out the Hot Stone Massage, because that's the only massage I've tried that can potentially lull me to sleep, and sleep was what I needed at that time. I had just finished a bout of acute muscle spasms, numerous visits with my chiropractor, and a ban on high-heels, I needed some warm stones to ease the ache on my lower back
 The menu was pretty interesting because there are facials, body wraps, scrubs and other relaxing indulgences on the menu. I like that they focus on the efficacy of treatment rather than frills, which means I'm getting my money's worth and not just paying for ambiance. I didn't mind the ambiance, and I also appreciated that most massages are for 90 minutes.
Once our choices were made known, we were ushered through Japanese paper walls to the treatment room. I love the ethereal effect the natural paper has especially when different light comes into play.
 The treatment rooms are simple, sleek, and serene. Candles illuminate the room moodily giving it a warm glow. There are 6 beds at QiWellness, and the treatment rooms are designed in such a way that makes it possible to be solo, or have a treatment with a couple of friends. Quite ingenious.
I remember a brief moment or reflexology all over the body, to warm up my skin and prep it for the volcanic stones that have been heated for over 30 minutes. The masseuse was very attentive, asking for feedback on the pressure and the warmth of the stones. Once everything was going smoothly, I felt the stones lull me to a steady state of relaxation... and I don't remember much after that.
Next thing I remember, the masseuse asked me to turn over and lay on my back, and then I fell asleep once more. For me, the mark of a successful therapy session is if I end up asleep, which is very difficult because my mind is always running on fuel, even when I try to slow down. 
 
What surprised me was the level of ease I felt after my stone massage. And when I asked Mr. S how his treatment was... well I didn't really ask him coz I knew from his snoring that the goal of his QiTranquility therapy had been accomplished. He did say he wanted to try the QiVitality next because he preferred a deeper massage. But he fell asleep, so I don't know what he's complaining about.
 As we tipped our masseuses and was about to leave, I saw this promo by the reception which tempted me to indulge in a little bit of R&R. Buy 10 massages and get 2 massages and 2 reflexology sessions free?! AHEM AHEM wishlist, my friends. No kidding, I think it's a great deal especially if you want to get away from the stress without traveling through toll gates.

QiWellness is a day spa I'd like to escape to every now and then. And since the holidays are creeping in, it means more reasons to unwind while still staying in the city.
Get your Qi on.

3 comments:

  1. Good thing im not a blogger, or i wouldnt have anything to write. The owner already warned me that the QiTranquility is meant to calm you to sleep. And 10mins after, i was knocked out. He really did mean it. And this is with me "fighting" the temptation to sleep since i want to be awake to feel the massage.

    This is one of the best places ive had a massage in, clean and peaceful. And the massagers are very attentive to your needs, making sure they do it exactly how you want it. Next time i will try another type, the QiTranquility is too much. Not that it was bad, but it was too good. Yes i want to be relaxed but not too much that i fall asleep. Should have listened to the owner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True that it's a challenge for masseurs and masseuse to make customers asleep. I wonder if i will fall a sleep there.

    Great entry, Jean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glenn: Exacto. No matter how nice the spa is, if the therapists aren't trained properly, you'll feel conscious of their every move. I was knocked out like a light. i need to remember my therapist's name!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...